A strong, efficient roof is a critical component of any commercial building. From warding off severe elements like hail and snow to keeping the interiors well-insulated, it serves an all-important role that is vital to the success of the business. To effectively perform its functions, however, the commercial roof needs to be in optimal condition year-round. Here are three essential questions to ask when developing a management strategy for your roof.
1. What’s your intention for the commercial building? Are you planning to keep the building or facility for the next, say, two decades, or are you considering flipping it sooner rather than later? Is the commercial property a fundamental piece of your business, or does relocating to a new place sound like a better option for you? Keeping your long-term plans in mind and understanding how it affects your decisions on building maintenance enables you to map out the best, most cost-effective decision for your business.
2. What’s the history of your commercial roof? When developing a maintenance strategy for your commercial roof, you should take the history of your current roofing system into account, including the following:
- The date the current roof was installed
- The material manufacturer and warranty information
- The contractor who installed the roof
- As-built and design documents
- Maintenance records and photos of the roof
- Inspections, repairs and other maintenance services performed
3. What renovations and additions are you planning to make? If you’re planning to renovate the exterior or interior of the building, your contractor should hear about it. This includes roof penetrations, changes to the drainage system and other structural modifications. It may be the best move to put off extensive work on your commercial roof until construction work is completed. Discuss restrictions like specific times when work is not allowed as well so your contractor can plan accordingly.
Hill Roofing Corporation is a premier source of commercial roof maintenance and residential roof replacement services. Our certified roofers deliver industry-leading products and outstanding customer service to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of our clients. Call us at (703) 570-7745, or fill out our contact form to request a free estimate. We serve Arlington and Manassas, VA, and surrounding areas.